Mission: “Every student successfully completes high school.”
Vision: “Floyd Central High School provides a learning environment that prepares students to contribute as citizens of a diverse society; pursue post-secondary education and training; compete globally for jobs.”
Floyd Central High School is a part of the New Albany-Floyd County School Corporation which serves nearly 11,000 students in Floyd County, Indiana. FCHS opened in the fall of 1967 and has nearly doubled its enrollment since that time. It replaced the historic Georgetown School, which served grades 1-12.
The New Albany-Floyd County School Corporation comprises the twelfth largest school district in the state. Currently, the Floyd Central campus is a 97.25 acre complex that includes outdoor athletic fields and a planetarium, tennis courts, both an indoor and outdoor track, weight room facility, an auditorium and small theatre and up-to-date classrooms.
In the spring of 2013 and 2014 Floyd Central High School was named to the Washington Post List of America’s Most Challenging High Schools. The Indiana Department of Education also recognized Floyd Central as an Indiana Four Star School 18 times in the school history and 4 out of the last 5 years. Floyd Central has also received two National School of Excellence Blue Ribbon Awards in 1996 and in 2002.
On Floyd Central, race to the goal
On Floyd Central, show your control
On Floyd Central, bring us success
On big green and gold machine
We all know what victory means,
Bring us victory!
For our school we proudly will stand
FCHS is in command
And we will back our team in winning this game
Green and gold come out on top
Our team won’t stop
Highlanders-that’s our name!
Floyd Central has a first class commission from the Indiana Department of Public Instruction and is a member of the AdvancED, a voluntary regional accreditation organization.
Recognitions and Accomplishments
Floyd Central Awards and Honors–2019
- Indiana Department of Education Four-Star School
- Floyd Central Dance Marathon—Raised over $500,000 for Riley Children’s Hospital in 9 years!
Over 9.4 million dollars awarded in scholarships from colleges and universities
- 209 Academic and Technical Honors Diploma Candidates
- 8 IB Diploma Candidates
- 10 enlisted in the U. S. Armed Forces
- 3 National Merit Finalists and 6 National Merit Commended Scholars
- Named a Four Star School for the 18th time in school history and the 4th time in 5 years.
- Honored by the State of Indiana for student performance on Advanced Placement Exams.
- Over $280,000.00 in community-based scholarships
- 24 Horseshoe Foundation Scholarships
- The Bagpiper won the Hoosier Star Award for the 7th time in 8 years. This is the highest award in the state for high school journalism.
- Band and Orchestra all qualify for the ISSMA State Finals.
- ISSMA State Finalist: Orchestra, 4th place and qualified for state for the 30th consecutive year
- NJROTC—Awarded Distinguished Unit, Area 3; State Champions in a variety of disciplines
- IHSAA Sectional Championships– Girls Golf, Girls and Boys CC, Girls and Boys Soccer, Girls and Boys Tennis, Girls and Boys Swimming, Girls Track, (Boys Golf is heavily favored)
- IHSAA Regional Championships–Girls’ Cross Country and Boys’ Tennis
- IHSAA Semi-State Champions — Boys Tennis
- Hoosier Hills Conference Championships—Volleyball, Girls CC, Boys and Girls Tennis, Boys and Girls Swimming, Boys and Girls Track and Boys Golf
- 22 Individual state qualifiers and 2 Relay Teams
- 8 All State Selections
- 32 Academic All-State Selections
- Hoosier Hills Grand All-Sport Champion
- Hoosier Hills Boys’ All-Sport Champion
- Hoosier Hills Girls’ All-Sport Champion
- UDA National Dance Competition– 3rd place in Pom
- 8 qualifiers and 2 state placers in Skills USA from Prosser Education and Career Center
- Interact Club received Presidential Citation for philanthropic work
- 29 Louisville Metro Region Scholastic Art Award Winners
An IB World School
Floyd Central High School is an authorized International Baccalaureate World School. IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to a high quality, challenging international education. Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its three academic programs. For additional information about the IB and its programs, visit http://www.ibo.org